Sunday, March 20, 2005

Optimism

I am realistic enough to know not that many people read my Blog, and I know that some of my Blog entries can sound very negative. I write them however in the hope that it will "wake up" some people who never thought about these issues, or that it will show to others who are likeminded, that they are not alone.

While I have no illusions of grandeur, I think English Statesman and philosopher Edmund Burke was correct when he said "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". And my Blog is writen in part based on this principle. I harbour some hope that what I write will get people to think and act. Because, while I can put things very bleakly, I do believe if "good men" act and don't let themselves be silenced, this world could be a lot better. I guess in the end, I am in this an optimist against better judgement. I am a realist, but keep hope alive that with enough action by "good men" something truly good can exist.

I don't think that "big corporations", "religious fanatic's" and others who bear no good will towards others in general can not be fought. I even believe that bigotry, racism, lack of knowledge and apathy can on a larger scale be conquered. Al though I hold no illusions and think this, or all Blogs combined, would be instrumental in this. It's just a small part of a much bigger thing. And I do think if those "good men" work together, in the end they can be much more successful then "evil". Evil after all, is also only just man-made. Just as is good.

2 Comments:

At 11:17 pm, Blogger Steeph said...

You got me as a reader :)
And I like the "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" quote.
Sums it up for me as well.

 
At 11:23 pm, Blogger Aldo Quispel said...

Thanks :) I also am qoute fond of that qoute (duh, else I would not have mentioned it :) ). As I think it holds a lot of truth.

I've notished when you search the internet for Edmund Burke, you can even find somebody who wrote an entire thesis or something of the like about just that one statement he just made. Which is pretty extreme if you ask me :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home