Saturday, April 16, 2005

Banking the right way

After hearing things that only after a lot of pressure one of the banks I am with finally withdrew from funding questionable arms-manufacturers I have become a bit more interested in what banks actually do with your money. Because while banks complain about wanting to raise fees for consumers, it's our money that makes them really wealthy. Mostly due to investments and due to loans. Banks generally don't seem to have a conscious, but nobody ever raises their voice about it.

So when I hear things about some banks investing in seriously questionable projects, things that never ever would have my approval... I have become interested if some banks don't do this. At least in the Netherlands there seems to be one bank who actively chooses to invest their money in projects for the benefit of mankind. Reading their examples, I am impressed. From biological farming to micro financing people in the poorest parts of the world. I haven't switched yet, but I will probably move some of my bank accounts there. In case anybody else is interested: Triodos bank (or if somebody has some information that they are all bollocks, I also would like to know).

4 Comments:

At 2:52 pm, Blogger Steeph said...

I've been with the Triodos bank for some time now and I really appriciate their way of doing business. Only the current account is not available (dagelijkse rekening met pasjes).

Another alternative, not tested by me, is the ASN bank.

It helps in "putting your money where your mouth is" :-)

 
At 11:11 pm, Blogger Gothamimage said...

You will never find a moral bank.

 
At 11:12 pm, Blogger Gothamimage said...

They will go out of business - fiddiciary responsibility trumps most other concerns- Banks are amoral - not immoral.

 
At 10:53 pm, Blogger Aldo Quispel said...

luckly not everbody thinks like you and some people actually try to make this place a better world, not a worse world due to misplaced skeptisim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home